Sunday, September 20, 2015

RE: Initial Planning & Coordination

Project Description and Merits:

  • I would like to create an app that uses the EEG data from the Emotiv Insight headset to read the users mood. The app will then show a color that corresponds to the users mood in real time, and change depending on how they are feeling.
  • This will be useful in therapy situations to help the user and their therapist to understand how they are feeling. It will also be useful for those that cannot describe how they are feeling because of a disability. People could practice controlling their emotions easier if they have visual cues of their feelings.
  • It sounds like an interesting application. The only question is that some other people have done the similar research. You can start from understanding and replicating their design, and then try to improve it. 
Group/Team Communication:
  • The teams 4, 5, and 6 make up this group, however at present there is only teams 4 and 6.
  • My team consists of myself.
  • Collaboration can only work if everyone involved understands each other, and allows for all ideas and opinions to be shared. To summarize, good communication is key and an open mind can only help.
  • Since team 4 is focusing on the classification mechanism, you should discuss and collaborate with them earlier on about your topic. They should help you develop the algorithms.
Prior Work/Resource Inventory:
I tried to update it, but I just posted it onto my blog by mistake. I will fix this at a later time.
  • There is a menu item called "Pages" where you can edit your Resource page.

Technology Analysis:
  • A strong understanding of neuroscience and the lobes of the brain.
  • Understanding of the headset's API and the coding involved with it.
  • Can be even more specific. For example, types of EEG signals, brainwave channels, headset/probes, brainwave analysis process, classification algorithms, IDE & language (you need to pick a development platform), subject test procedure, etc.. 
Competence:
  • At present, I know Python and some C, but I will have to learn a mobile app language like Swift. I also need to brush up on the EEG information that I read over the summer. I have not looked at the papers in a couple of weeks and I need to look over them again.
Safety: The headset, when it arrives, should be stored correctly, but other than that everything should be fine.

Equipment, Materials, and Budget: Once again, other than the headset, there shouldn't have to be any extra equipment. The online courses that I will be taking are free, so that isn't an issue.
  •  Depends on the platform you choose, you might need an iPhons/iPad or an Android phone/tablet, or Windows/Linnux/Mac laptop.

Schedule: In the next week, I want to strengthen my neuroscience background and solidify my ideas. I may also have to change the idea that I have as of now, since I do not know yet how good of an idea it is. Only after that I want to dive into the programming.
  •  You can also use this topic as your learning curve, and target a newer challenging topics.

Initial note: I am not certain how successful and/or feasible this project is with me working on my own. I also have a lot of skills that I will need learn, as described earlier in this post. I am very much welcome to suggestions and/or feedback.
  • You can always discuss the issues with me. As far as the programming part, there will be several teams involving in programming. You can always support each other. Furthermore, there is a huge online community which provides enormous amount of resource!

No comments:

Post a Comment